Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC) is recruiting for a Telecommunications Analyst who will assist in the management, implementation and maintenance of all of NOVEC’s telecommunications systems to include the telephone system, cellular phones and data devices, Land Mobile Radio (LMR) System, substation microwave and radio systems and fiber network.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Completes all phone system programming changes when requested and adds or deletes employee names to the various systems.
- Troubleshoots telecommunications problems when they occur, performs route cause investigation, and takes subsequent action to correct it with all responsible parties.
- Writes procedures to follow when trouble occurs on any of the telecommunications systems and reviews on a quarterly basis to ensure they are current.
- Keeps accurate records of all telecommunications equipment and detailed records of changes or problems occurring to the systems.
- Reviews telecommunications bills quarterly to ensure services and equipment are billed accurately and utilized in the most effective and economical way.
- Prepares and administers preparation and execution of all contracts pertaining to telecommunications.
- Writes and updates operational instructions and procedures, as required, for telephone, radio, cell phone, laptop wireless cards, microwave and other telecommunications equipment. Instructions and procedures will be made available for employees using appropriate communications media.
- Assists or oversees all business telecommunications related activities.
- Periodically inspects telecommunications rooms and closets for cleanliness and general suitability for use.
- Implements the use of new telecommunication facilities including upgrades of telephone systems, microwave, radio, fiber optics, SIP trunks and common carrier PRIs.
- Assists in the cellular and radio communications of distributed SCADA devices.
- Monitors, maintains and performs changes on the radios, workstations and LMR system.
- Responsible for coordinating the telecommunication tower and communications building maintenance.
- Maintains a call recording system and manages the contact center telephone software and system.
- Manages and secures smart phones using Blackberry Mobile Device Management tools.
- Maintains FCC licenses for radio and microwave system frequencies.
- Ensures the proper operation of the load management transmitters.
- Develops and maintains as-built network diagrams of telephone and telecommunications networks, including the substation WAN, using Microsoft VISIO or other suitable system.
- Coordinates the activities of NOVEC and contract employees in support of assigned business telecommunications projects.
- With the assistance of maintenance contractor, conducts and sets up a regular maintenance schedule on telecommunications systems as required.
- Assists with departmental budget.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an accredited high school or the recognized equivalent, along with additional specialized technical training or some college is required. An Associate’s Degree in a technical field is preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Perform job responsibilities in a timely and accurate manner within established guidelines under minimal supervision.
- Able to attend mandatory NOVEC safety and training programs, pertinent institutes, workshops and seminars to remain up-to-date with necessary skills.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in the planning, building and implementation of all telecommunications projects through completion and on schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize when problems occur, to ask the right questions to determine the cause of the problem, therefore knowing the proper personnel to contact and the correct procedures to follow in order to correct the problem as soon as possible.
- Must have a basic understanding of telecommunications infrastructure, possess knowledge of the various types of communications equipment utilized by commercial firms and be able to become familiar with new telecommunications technology.
NOVEC does not provide sponsorship for this position. To get started on this great opportunity, please send your resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com.
NOVEC is an equal opportunity provider and employer.