Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC) is recruiting for an experienced Protection Engineer. This position will be responsible for designing the substation systems and relay settings used in the control and operation of utility transmission and distribution facilities. This position will also analyze the performance of protective relay operations to ensure reliability and proper coordination of the overall electric system. Other duties will include: provide guidance, oversight and direction for technical services personnel for substation maintenance and installation activities; create equipment specifications and standards for substation protection, automation, and communications equipment and oversee the operation of these systems; conduct engineering and operational studies and provide recommendations in order to provide safe, reliable, and economical substation plans and designs according to established cooperative guidelines; independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques and procedures while using judgment when making adaptations and modifications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Engineer protection system settings and systems.
- Review and approve recommended settings from SE&P engineers jointly with operations staff.
- Create detailed control schematics, wiring diagrams, and protection logic drawings.
- Investigate and analyze transmission system disturbances and relay operations to determine root cause and recommend system improvements.
- Develop,coordinate, update and maintain relay settings database, test standards, and maintenance procedures.
- Ensure compliance with reliability policies and NERC and other industry standards and other programs such as special protection systems (SPS), and underfrequency load shedding (UFLS).
- Direct maintenance personnel in the installation, verification, and upgrade of substation protection, communication and control equipment.
- Support system operations group during outages and emergencies with analyses of digital fault data and relay sequence of operations review.
- Develop accurate and economical substation construction drawings using computer aided design software.
- Develop requirements for protection of facilities by preparing specifications for protective equipment, coordination studies, and switching orders as required by systems additions.
- Assist other members of department in the analysis of the electrical and telecommunication systems using computerized engineering models and business databases to design improvements and additions to the electrical system based on cost- benefit ratio.
- Review new and upgraded substation construction drawings to ensure accuracy and compliance with RUS specifications, National Electrical Safety Code Standards, local ordinances, NOVEC policies, NOVEC construction specifications, and S&T Department guidelines.
- Review construction projects to ensure compliance with RUS specifications, National Electrical Safety Code Standards, local ordinances, NOVEC policies, and S&T Department guidelines.
- Assist in the preparation and implement short and long-range work plans.
- Determine material specifications and selections, and monitors construction and field engineering activities to ensure adherence to work plan schedules for system improvements.
- Coordinate the design, construction, and testing activities for additions and improvements to the substation system.
- Provide support to System Operations Department as outlined in the Cooperative's Service Restoration Plan.
- Work continually towards self-development to stay cognizant of substation and telecommunications technology.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering field is required or equivalent combination of education and experience. Three to five years of related experience and/or training in design, construction, and operation of electrical substations and associated protective relaying systems is required. Engineer in Training (EIT) certification in the state of Virginia is preferred.
SPECIAL NOTE: This position can be filled at the Senior or Mid-level. Senior-level requirements are as follows: Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering is required or equivalent combination of education and experience. At least seven years of related experience and/or training in design, construction, and operation of electrical substations is required. Professional engineering license in the state of Virginia is preferred.
NOVEC does not provide sponsorship for this position.
To get started on this great opportunity, please send your resume with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOVEC is an equal opportunity provider and employer.