Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC) is looking for an Engineering Technician who will be responsible for developing and testing the Engineering model and finding solutions to solve modeling problems. This position will also be responsible for performing a variety of technical and administrative tasks in support of engineering professional staff in the SEP department. This person will assist engineers with various analysis, conducting tests, loading/entering, verifying, manipulating, analyzing and reporting data.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES will include, but are not limited to:
- Using specified software and uploading GIS, loading data and billing data to System Engineering and Planning (SEP) Engineering model.
- Performing regular updates and tests of the modeling system and ensuring data accuracy.
- Reviewing and updating technical documentation used to generate engineering model, performing troubleshooting, repairing and maintenance for the model.
- Modifying and writing reports within engineering software environment.
- Providing support to integrate the engineering requirements and design criteria into the model during the development of a specific project and for Short Range Plan projects.
- Assisting in the performance of electrical system studies by extracting and collecting data from multiple sources such as GIS, EDNA, Cascade, Relay settings database, OMS and SAS.
- Assisting SEP engineers with acquisition, preparation and analysis of data.
- Assisting SEP engineers with monitoring activity in various basins and tracks in various databases.
- Gathering technical data for manipulation and analysis projects.
- Assisting SEP engineers with various research and analytical projects.
- Creating various models and working with SEP engineers to provide meaningful analysis.
- Assisting SEP engineers when preparing for short range plan and long range plan projects, including voltage drop studies, sectionalizing studies, maintenance requirements and budget requirements.
- Assisting SEP engineers with collecting and compiling data for the evaluation of power outages and other electrical disturbances.
- Collaborating with Operation and Substation departments and conducting surveys to collect field data. Field data collection includes: physical measurement, equipment ratings and equipment data recording to improve the electrical system and data integrity.
- Performing all position responsibilities in accordance with NOVEC policies and procedures and OSHA safety regulations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A 2-year engineering related degree from a technical institute/community college or 4-year college degree highly preferred.
Working knowledge with engineering modeling & design software such as ETAP, Milsoft and GIS.
Drafting experience in CAD.
Two years of utility related experience as an engineering technician in a utility construction and maintenance environment is preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- A strong analytical and problem-solving skill set utilizing sound technical principles.
- Extremely competent in numerous data base management programs with a high-level understanding of database structure and queries.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience preparing and presenting presentations.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must be a team player willing to assist where needed with the ability to work personally, proactively and independently to achieve results and use thoughtful judgment.
- Ability to adapt and anticipate solutions and opportunities for growth.
- Self-motivated and ability to perform “open-ended” type tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to build and maintain effective relationships with various levels of company personnel.
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to multi-task with attention to accuracy.
- Must be a team player who possesses the ability to adapt to changing and fast paced working environment.
NOVEC does not provide sponsorship for this position.
To get started on this great opportunity, please send your resume with salary requirements to: email@example.com.
NOVEC is an equal opportunity provider and employer.