Contact: NOVEC Public Relations, 1-888-335-0500, email@example.com
MANASSAS, Va. — The Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC) and the Virginia, Maryland & Delaware Association of Electric Cooperatives (VMDAEC) have awarded college and higher-education scholarships to 16 high school seniors who live in Northern Virginia.
NOVEC’s selection committees reviewed 133 scholarship applications this year from exceptional students. After looking at students’ academic records, recommendations, community involvement, work experience, essays, and demonstrated leadership, they selected 11 high school seniors to receive $1,500 college scholarships.
The applications of these students were reviewed again to select the most outstanding student to receive the $1,500 J. Manley Garber scholarship, named for NOVEC’s longest-serving board director. The Garber Scholar received a total of $3,000.
NOVEC’s 2018 Scholarship Winners
- Madison Humphries — Garber Scholar, Liberty High School, Fauquier County
- Nicole McNamara — Westfield High School, Fairfax County
- Sidney Kiefaber — Centreville High School, Fairfax County
- Zachary Kirkpatrick — Heritage High School, Loudoun County
- Caroline Maloney — Freedom High School, Loudoun County
- Vivian Lam —Manassas Park High School, City of Manassas Park
- Matthew Cinnamon — Forest Park High School, Prince William County
- Katherine Dolan — St. John Paul the Great Catholic High School, Prince William County
- Dominique Mickiewicz — Forest Park High School, Prince William County
- Yara Snawy — Patriot High School, Prince William County
- John Hayes —Brooke Point High School, Stafford County
The VMDAEC Educational Scholarship Foundation awarded 54 $1,000 scholarships this year to students who receive power from electric cooperatives in Virginia, Maryland and Delaware. The scholarships are based on applicants’ financial need, academic achievement, and a personal statement. Scholarship winners will enter their first semester of college, technical or trade school this fall.
VMDAEC Educational Scholarship Foundation Winners in NOVEC Territory:
- Javid Fathi — Rock Ridge High School, Loudoun County
- Lillian Luong —Stonewall Jackson High School, Prince William County
- Gabriel Morales —Brentsville District High School, Prince William County
- Tiffany Thai — Westfield High School, Fairfax County
“We congratulate all scholarship winners and wish them the best as they prepare for higher education,” said Lisa Hooker, NOVEC public relations vice president.
The Virginia, Maryland & Delaware Association of Electric Cooperative represents NOVEC and 14 other co-ops that distribute electricity to consumers in the three states. Based in Glen Allen, Virginia, VMDAEC provides safety and employee training, government relations, expertise, and other services. For more information, visit www.vmdaec.com.