NOVEC's service reliability is the best in the Washington metropolitan region. However, events beyond the control of the Cooperative such as automobile accidents, unforeseen equipment failures, lightning storms, freezing rain, snow or other occurrences of nature make it impossible to guarantee uninterrupted service.
Whenever your electricity goes off, please thoroughly check your fuses or the breaker panel in your home to determine if it is an isolated problem before notifying NOVEC.
An operations coordinator is on duty 24-hours-a-day as part of NOVEC's established emergency procedures. Employees are called as needed to restore service.
To Report a Power Outage
Online: Report an outage or check status
Phone: 703-335-0500 or toll-free 1-888-335-0500
Automated phone menu instructions:
- You will be greeted by an automated menu. Push 2 if you wish to hear the information in Spanish. Otherwise, stay on the line for further instruction in English.
- You will be asked to push 1 to report a power outage, streetlights, emergencies, or other power problems.
- Say or press 1 again to report a power outage.
- If you are calling from the phone that is listed on your NOVEC account, the system will use caller ID to find your location and then ask you to verify the address.
- If you are calling from any other phone, you will be asked to enter the telephone number at the location of the power outage to confirm your address.
- At your request, the system will call you back once the outage has been resolved to confirm that your power is back on.
- Remember, cordless phones may not work when the power is out. Cell phone towers may be affected by outages or higher-than-usual call volume. Keeping a corded land-line phone handy may be helpful during an outage.
Save time during outages! Verify your phone number with NOVEC in advance.
- Call 703-335-0500 or 1-888-335-0500, and follow the easy prompts to verify the primary phone number for your service location.
- You can also log into My Account and update your phone number.
- This will allow system to recognize your phone number through caller ID and save you precious time if you ever have to call to report an outage in the future.
Every attempt will be made to restore your electricity as quickly as possible once NOVEC's operations center personnel and line crews are dispatched to correct the situation and restore power. In most instances this can be accomplished with relative ease. However, there are times when weather conditions or other problems complicate the situation and restoration of service may take longer.
Medical Alert Customers:
- In advance, notify NOVEC of family member who uses life support equipment. Contact Customer Service at 1-888-335-0500 or via e-mail.
- This does not place that person on a priority restoration list; it allows NOVEC to help you make more informed decisions about staying put or relocating the person, based on NOVEC estimated restoration time. Remember, it is important to understand that medical alert customers should have a special plan to provide for their emergency needs should an extended power outage occur. Depending on the cause of the outage, there is no guarantee that NOVEC can restore power to them faster than to our other customers.