Annual Peak Use Reduction
Reduce Your Use to Manage the Load and Keep Electric Rates Steady
Just five scorching hours each summer set a large proportion of the charges NOVEC pays for electricity for the entire year. Since these few hours are so crucial in helping the Cooperative hold down the cost of electricity, NOVEC is asking customers to limit energy use during peak hours.
Peak Use Sets the Price
NOVEC’s capacity costs for the year are based on the average amount of power used during the five highest peak-use hours. These peak hours typically occur between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. on the hottest summer days.
By reducing the amount of power consumed during peak periods, NOVEC can reduce its total wholesale power costs. Reductions or increases in these expenses are passed directly on to customers each month through the power cost adjustment. The average annual cost per customer for the peak use demand charge is $335. With just a 10 percent reduction in electricity use, NOVEC customers could realize a collective savings of about $4.7 million a year.
Tips for Reducing Peak Electricity Use
- Turn the thermostat up to 82 — or turn it off — between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. and at all times when no one is home. A programmable thermostat can automatically make these adjustments.
- Use ceiling fans to keep cooled air circulating.
- Delay running the dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer until late evening or early morning.
- Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic devices. Unplug them to eliminate “vampire” waste.
- During the heat of the day, treat yourself to a trip to the mall or the movies where it’s cool, and remember to turn off the air conditioner before leaving.
NOVEC’s Load Management Program
To make a long-term commitment to energy conservation, team up with the 43,000 other NOVEC customers already enrolled in the Cooperative’s load management program. A switch is installed on the water heater and/or central air conditioner that automatically cycles these units off a few times each month during NOVEC’s peak demand periods. Click here for more information about load management.
Sign up for Peak Use Alerts
NOVEC now offers another way to help customers "use it wisely" by using their cellphone. Customers can now sign up to receive a text message at peak-use times to remind them to conserve energy on those days when it matters the most.