10 low-cost or no-cost ways to lower your electric bill:
1) Lower your thermostat to 68 degrees
You can set it even lower when sleeping or out of the home. Using a programmable thermostat will makes this goal even easier to accomplish.
2) Use a microwave instead of an oven
An oven takes far more energy to heat up food than a microwave.
3) Reduce your water heater temperature
Reducing your hot water heater temperature setting to 120 degrees or between “hot” and “warm” will help you save even more.
4) Check your heat pump
If you have a heat pump, make sure it is NOT set to “emergency heat.”
5) Make sure your air filters are clean
6) Unplug appliances while not in use
Items like televisions, video game consoles, and computers still use energy when they are plugged in, even if they are switched off.
7) Make sure ceiling fans spin in a clockwise direction at low speed when in use
This helps redistribute warm air in a room.
8) Use LED lightbulbs
Using LEDs instead of traditional incandescent bulbs will help lower the cost of lighting your house.
9) Open blinds and curtains on sun-facing windows during the day
This allows in heat from the sun, and close them at night to help keep heat inside.
10) Make sure vents are not blocked by furniture or curtains
Keep supply registers and return grills free from obstructions so your system can more efficiently circulate air around your home.
For even more energy-saving tips, visit novec.com/save.