Installation of Electric Service - Commercial
The installation of electrical facilities is governed by federal, state and local regulations and guidelines, as well as NOVEC policies. These regulations, guidelines, and policies identify the terms of the business relationship between the customer and NOVEC, and, ensure electrical facilities are designed and installed equitably, legally and safely. The designer will provide the following documents to help you understand the guidelines for the construction of new service.
- Commercial and Industrial Electric Service Guidelines (PDF) - This document contains NOVEC's specific guidelines for Builders and Developers as well as the following forms: Advance Notification - Long Range Planning Form, Requirements for Developer AutoCAD Drawings, Grade Certification Form, Underground Agreement Form, Builder Electric Service Request Form, Contact List Form.
- Electrician's Guide (PDF) - This handbook describes the steps necessary to obtain service, from the planning stage through construction to meter installation.
- Load Data Sheet (PDF) - These forms are used to record the approximate electric load the building will carry. The designer uses this information to correctly size the electrical equipment to be used.
- Underground Distribution Facilities Agreement (PDF) - This form is also needed if the facilities will be installed underground. It establishes the responsibilities of NOVEC and you toward the installation of the facilities. Underground electric services are available for residential, commercial and industrial accounts. However, our standard service is overhead and the customer must pay a portion of the increased cost to provide underground service. Full details on these services can be obtained from the distribution engineering department.
- Easements - These documents grant NOVEC the right to utilize a specific area of your property for the installation, maintenance and repair of its facilities. NOVEC will prepare the required easement(s) for your service. It is your obligation to return the executed easement(s) to NOVEC. The attached easement document is for reference only.
- NOVEC's Terms & Conditions for Providing Electric Service (PDF)
At the meeting with the designer, please bring a site plan or plat depicting the proposed construction and the desired meter base location on the structure.
Cost of Service Installation
NOVEC provides, at no cost, one single-phase overhead electric service connection for each class of service. Three-phase overhead and underground services are available as outlined in the "Underground Service Plan" of NOVEC's Terms and Conditions for Providing Electric Service. Representatives in the distribution engineering department can provide you with additional information regarding requirements of commercial, industrial, governmental, or any other services. They may be contacted at 703-754-6750 or toll-free at 1-888-335-0500, extension 6750.
A security deposit of up to $300, if required, will be included on your first bill. The deposit may be paid in full on the first bill or in three monthly installments. The security deposit will be an amount not to exceed an estimated two months use. The Cooperative pays interest as determined by the State Corporation Commission annually on each security deposit net aired longer than 90 days. The security deposit is refunded if your account remains in good standing for 12 consecutive months. The refund is shown as a credit to your account on the 13th bill. If a customer terminates service and membership before the 13th bill, the deposit plus interest and the membership fee will be applied to the final bill.
Transferring or Terminating Service
Whenever a change of occupancy or legal responsibility takes place on any premises, notice of such changes must be given to NOVEC within a reasonable time prior to the date of the change. Failure to do so may result in the departing customer being held responsible for all service supplied until such notice has been received. Keeping the Cooperative informed of address changes is also necessary so CashBack checks may be mailed to the appropriate address.
Distribution Engineering: For more information on these topics and services, contact NOVEC’s distribution engineering department at 703-754-6750 or toll-free at 1-888-335-0500, extension 6750, or e-mail email@example.com.