When Lightning Strikes
Lightning surges from the clouds to the ground along the best conductor it can find, which is usually the highest object in the area. Remember these tips during thunderstorms:
- Go inside, preferably to a house or car. Don’t stand in the open or under a tree.
- If you get caught outside, squat low to the ground with your feet together, allowing only your shoes , which act as insulators, to touch the ground.
- Don’t swim. If you are in the water, get out immediately.
- Stay away from metal objects that are lightning conductors, such as poles or playground equipment.
Review more topics about staying safe:
- Stay Safe Around Electricity - Look Up! Look Down! Look Out!
- Safety Tips During Outages
- When Electrical Injury Occurs - Symptoms & First Aid
- Storm Safety - When Lightning Strikes
- Severe Storm Safety